Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Teaser

“Ou vooz seel phone, I feex eat.”

It was the first I knew Misha spoke any English. Tapping my chest with a strong grimy finger, he spoke slowly, his statement almost unintelligible through his cigarette-clenching grin and gravelly Russian accent. It was almost dark a mile or so from the pass and other vehicles were scarce on this dashed line of asphalt and dirt highway. We were on the climbing side of a low mountain range between Ust-Burgyzin and Ulan-Ude in south-central Siberia, having just left the eastern coast of Lake Baikal after six days of traveling in Misha's van, by a variety of watercraft, and on foot in search of Nerpa. The mysterious Nerpa, Pusa sibirica, the only landlocked freshwater seal, were difficult to get to but not hard to find. In fact, finding the seals was much easier than avoiding the curdling fumes that foretold the downfall of our Russian all-purpose vehicle. We had been stranded, our itinerary broken, and I, as is too often the case when things go south, was happy. And, honestly, Misha should have been on fire.

4 comments:

  1. An excellent Teaser. Please continue. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed, do continue! Like I said earlier, I fully enjoy the set up of the penultimate sentence followed by the quick shot final sentence of Misha sin fuego! I am especially interested in how this forum works for your creative process and the collaboration you may seek from people's substantive comments here. Also--the pieces that show trial balloons of approaches to phrasing or using the details of your experiences (now that some even years in the past) can be juxtaposed with the more finalized pieces or sections. I am interested ( or insert "nerd" here) enough in the subtleties or language and effect of diction and structure to want to see just a corner of your desk/leaf of your porfolio... , so to speak...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dangit... Now I want to know why you are after that damn seal... Next installment please!!

    ReplyDelete